PDA

View Full Version : Is The 'TPMS Sensor Servicing' A Necessary Service?

buckeye95
12-10-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm looking at buying some tires from Tire Rack and having my local tire shop install them. I'm being charged a 'TPMS Service' fee of $6.99 per tire. The service rep said that (optional) fee is to replace the seals in the stem. "If we don't replace the seals then the tires could leak and if you drive on them flat we can't cover the damage."

I think the 'service' is bogus but it got me to thinking. What can I do to the valves just for maintenance and save myself the $?

Hans
12-13-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm looking at buying some tires from Tire Rack and having my local tire shop install them. I'm being charged a 'TPMS Service' fee of $6.99 per tire. The service rep said that (optional) fee is to replace the seals in the stem. "If we don't replace the seals then the tires could leak and if you drive on them flat we can't cover the damage."

I think the 'service' is bogus but it got me to thinking. What can I do to the valves just for maintenance and save myself the $?

With all due respect, I don't think you can, or even should try to save these few dollars. The rubber seal is a replacement part, certainly after you have driven 40.000 Miles or more and have to replace tyres as they have not enough profile left. With the "old style" non TPMS the tireshop replaced the rubber stem just out of precautions (and you probably are never told they did that), in order to avoid any problem with leakage etc.
Nowadays with the aluminum stem of the TPMS stem, replacement of the parts that make a 100% air tight seal is an absolute neccessity, unless you want to be the victim of too low tyre pressure, a continious TPMS warning light and in case of an emergency stop, risking an severe accident or collission. Safety can be bought in this case, not only for yourselve, but also for your fellow car users on the road. So don't spare these few dollars, PLEASE !!!