Resetting Hyundai TPMS
This thread is to discuss resetting Hyundai TPMS.
Last edited by TPMSProAlbert; 02-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.
SUBJECT VEHICLE: 2008-10 Hyundai Elantra.
SENSOR IN TIRE? No, sensors are mounted in the wheels.
SPECIAL TOOLS NEEDED? Yes, a TPMS exciter scan tool.
The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on 2008-10 Hyundai Elantras uses a receiver that is available in low-line and high-line versions. There are four radio frequency (RF) tire pressure sensors, two warning indicators on the instrument cluster and a data circuit to perform system functions. Vehicles with high line systems have three warning indicators and include four low-frequency initiators (LFIs). When tire pressure is below the allowed threshold, or a rapid leak is detected, the low pressure warning light on the instrument cluster will be illuminated. On vehicles with a high line system, a tire location light also will illuminate to indicate the faulty tire.
If the system detects a receiver or sensor fault, or if it detects a fault that is external to the receiver or sensor, the TPMS warning indicator on the instrument cluster will be illuminated. If the fault is considered “critical,” the light will stay on throughout the entire ignition cycle.
In order to remove an old sensor and install a new one, follow these steps:
1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. CAUTION: Avoid tire/tool contact with the valve while demounting the tire.
2. Deflate the tire and remove the balance weights. The bead should be broken about 180 degrees from the valve side of the wheel. The bead breaker should not be set too deep. Demount should end near the valve. CAUTION: The valve nut should not be re-used.
3. While handling the sensor with care, remove the valve nut.
4. Discard the valve immediately.
5. Assemble the valve to the sensor, and turn the valve three times with the square part of the screw in the slot. See Figure 1. CAUTION: Ensure the sensor feet are against the wheel throughout the remainder of the assembly process.
6. Ensure that the valve hole and mating face of the wheel are clean. Mount