Thread: 2010 Porsche Cayman TPMS ITM failure

Pcar1979

2010 Porsche Cayman TPMS ITM failure

I thought I would post up my recent experience with TPMS on my 2010 Cayman. I had just purchased a set of HRE P40's off a PCA club member and had them shipped to me. The wheels were perfect and I got a killer deal on them. I bought the set without tires so I had to source tires and TPMS. My Porsche mechanic said he could get me a deal on a set of Michelin Pilot Sports and I ended up buying a set of ITM sensors because they had a good price and I could get them with black valve stems to match the wheels. When I took the wheels/tires/TPMS to my installer he had warned me about issues with non OE sensors on a lot of cars, however I heard these we supposed to work so I convinced him to install them anyway. Everything went together nicely, so then fast forward 2 weeks, I had just finished lunch at the in-laws and was on the 25 mi trip home when I heard a noise from the rear passenger side. Not seeing any engine warning light I drove on for a couple more miles and the noise got worse. After it became overwhelming I decided to pull over and see what was going on, to my amazement my tire was completely gone, I was driving on what was left of the bead and the lip of my new wheel!!! Needless to say I sent an email to the company I purchased the sensors from asking them why I had no warning that there was no air left in my tire. They responded with a reply of "use at your own risk as the parts are "OE equivalent" and not OE". I have definitely learned my lesson as my replacement "new" wheel with tire is over $2k. Im hoping insurance will help me out.

FYI.

Thanks

Pcar1979

TPMSProAlbert
    Ouch, sorry to hear about that, hopefully your insurance company will help out at least a bit.

NYDon
    Not good...